VOSA Contact Number

The contact number for VOSA is available directly from their website at no or lower cost

0300 200 1122

Calls cost 7p per minute plus your standard network charge.

Please ensure you have the bill payers permission before contacting a company on our website.

This website provides hard to find phone numbers as a call connection service, and is not associated with the companies listed.

VOSA was replaced by the DVSA in 2014. Numbers below will forward you to the DVSA automated service. 

VOSA Contact Numbers

Opening Times
Head Office
(Mon – Fri) 8am – 6.30pm
(Mon – Fri) 8am – 6.30pm
(Mon – Fri) 8am – 6.30pm

VOSA Services and Legislation


Any vehicles kept must be roadworthy. The MOT test is designed to check that your vehicle meets road safety standards. You must get an MOT test on either the third anniversary of your cars registration or three years on from its last MOT. You cannot drive your vehicle on the road if your MOT has expired.

If you wish to check the MOT status of a vehicle or the MOT history, you can now search the online database. You will need the vehicle registration details, the MOT test number or the document reference number. You can compare your certificate’s details online to check that it is genuine.

If you are unable to use the system, you can ring the VOSA contact number and someone will be able to help you.

Vehicle Operator Licence

You need a vehicle operator’s licence if your business uses goods vehicles above a certain weight. There are three different types of the licence and the one that you needs depends on the type of goods that you intend to carry. These are the Standard National Licence which means you carry your own goods in Britain/internationally or other people’s goods in Britain. The Standard International Licence means you can carry both your own and other people’s goods across Great Britain and on international journeys. Lastly, there is a Restricted licence which allows you to carry your goods but not other people’s. If you are a business owner, you must make sure that anyone you employ has the correct licence for your business needs.

Use the VOSA helpline if you need to ask any further questions.

Provisional Licence

You can get your first provisional licence for a car, motorcycle or moped from DVLA online. You can apply for this when you are 15 and 9 months old. You can begin driving when you are 17 or 16 if you wish to drive a moped or light quad bike.

Driving Licences

In order to get a driving licence, you must pass two tests: a theory test and a practical test. You can book your theory test online and it is made up of theoretical questions based on the highway code and driving in general. You have to pass your theory test before you take your practical test. This can also be booked online. The test will be made up of two parts: one part is supervised driving, where the examiner will tell you to perform certain manoeuvres and the second part allows you to be monitored driving independently to see how you cope without guidance.

Blue Badge Scheme

The Blue Badge scheme helps you to park closer to your destination if you are disabled. In some cases, it also grants you free parking although you should check when you first reach your destination. To apply, you must answer some questions about your disability, check your eligibility and fill in an application form. If your application is refused, your local council should provide you with a reason as to why it was not accepted.

Driving Disqualifications

You can be disqualified from driving for being convicted of a driving-related offence or if you get 12 or more penalty points within three years. If you are disqualified for more than 56 days you must apply for a new licence before you can drive again. If you are caught speeding, the minimum penalty is £100 fine and 3 penalty points added to your licence. If you are still within 2 years of passing your driving test, your licence will be revoked after you have six points on your licence.

The Drink Drive Limit

There are strict alcohol limits for drivers. The legal limit is 35 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millimetres of breath. It is not possible for VOSA to state how much alcohol you can drink and stay under the limit as alcohol affects everyone in different ways.

SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification)

You can make a SORN if you are the registered keeper of the vehicle. You can make one if you do not use or keep your vehicle on a public road- for example if you keep it in a garage or on a driveway. (Find all implements you needs in The www.motocentral.co.uk Motorcycle Clothing Store)It is valid until your vehicle is taxed, sold or scrapped. If you are a motor trader and the vehicle is only in your possession temporarily until you sell it, you do not have to make a SORN.

About VOSA

VOSA was an agency within the Department for Transport that is known mostly for its work relating to MOT certificates. VOSA Examiners were granted the ability to give fixed penalty tickets as of the start of April 2009 and these penalties can range from breaching drivers hours laws to overloading vehicles to mechanical defeats. VOSA was replaced by the DVSA in 2014.


Number Direct is a telephone directory and call routing service and is not connected to VOSA. The direct contact number for VOSA can be found in the public domain or on their official website.