Tax Return Contact Phone Number

0844 248 2559

0844 248 2559

Why Might I need To Call the HM Revenue and Customs Tax Return Phone Number?

Use this HM Revenue contact number to:

tax return contact number

tax return contact number

  • Get help with filling out your tax return form
  • Find out the different types of tax return form, and which one is necessary for you
  • Inquire about tax return deadlines or share concerns about potential late penalties
  • Find out if you need to complete a Self Assessment tax return.
  • To get help with any questions you may have about filling in your tax return form.

Tax Return Other Numbers:

Tax Return Phone Number
Filing 0844 248 2559
Payments 0844 248 2559
Complaints 0844 248 2559

Tax Return Helpline Opening Hours

Department Opening times
Helpline 8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday
8am to 4pm Saturday

Tax Return Head Office Address

Department Address
Head Office Self-Assessment
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom

What Is A Tax Return Form?

A tax return form is used to show your annual income and any profits you may have accumulated from the sale of any assets. Completing one enables you to pay the right amount of government tax you owe as well as claim back any tax allowances or reliefs you are entitled to.

You will need to complete a Self Assessment tax return form if you are self-employed, run your own business or receive income from overseas. Most tax returns can simply be filed online – check if this applies to you by calling the IRS tax return number on

Tax returns must be completed to the relevant deadline. This is normally 31st January following the end of the tax year for online forms. Failure to complete a tax return on time can lead to penalties ranging from a £100 fixed penalty to a fixed penalty, extra charges and 5% of the tax due. This is in addition to any tax already due or paid.

Income Tax Return

You’ll need to send an income tax return if you were experiencing any of the following circumstances during the last tax year:

  • You were self-employed at any point over the last tax year.
  • You received over £2,500 from renting out a property, savings or any other form of income that was untaxed.
  • You had a savings or investment income of over £10,000 before tax.
  • You made a profit from selling shares or other assets.
  • You were a company director unless you were the director of a non-profit organisation.
  • Yours or your partner’s income was over £50,000 and one of you claimed child benefit.
  • You received income from abroad that requires tax to be paid.
  • If you lived abroad but received an income from the UK.
  • You had an income over £100,000

Even if you don’t have tax to pay, if you receive a letter from HMRC asking you to file a tax return, you must send it.

Tax Forms

The main tax return form is named SA100. You can download it from the website to fill in. HMRC may send you a form SA200 which is a shorter tax return, but you should only fill this in if it has been sent to you by HMRC. You may occasionally need to fill in more sections which all have a form number:

  • SA102- for company directors/employees
  • SA103S/SA103F- for self-employed people
  • SA104S/SA104F- for partnerships
  • SA105- property income
  • SA106- gains or income from abroad
  • SA108- capital gains
  • SA109- non-UK residents

If you are sending a tax return on behalf of a company, you’ll need form SA700. If you’re sending due to a partnership, use form SA800. For estates and trusts, use form SA900.

Tax Calculator

You can use the HMRC tax calculator to estimate how much National Insurance contributions and tax you will pay on a salary. You can use the quick calculator if you only have income through employment and you don’t pay into a pension scheme. If you have other forms of income or pay into a pension scheme, you can use the detailed calculator to get an accurate insight into how much tax you can expect to pay.

Tax Returns – Part of HMRC

Tax returns are a function of HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC), the non-ministerial department of the UK government responsible for all tax collection and distribution of financial state support such as Housing Benefit and Child Benefits. It is also responsible for monitoring employment regulations and preventing corruption and fraud across businesses.

Popular questions about Tax Returns

tax return

tax return

Which tax return do I need to file?

If you are unsure whether you need to send a tax return, you can use a Government tool provided by HMRC to see if you need to.

When tax return will be deposited

If you have claimed your tax back through a refund because you paid too much, you can expect your refund to arrive within five weeks via a cheque in the post. Once you have deposited the cheque at the bank, you can expect that it will take 3-5 days to clear.

When is the tax return deadline?

The deadline to register for self-assessment is the 5th October 2016. If you choose to file a paper tax return, this must be sent by midnight on the 31st October. For online tax returns, you have until midnight on the 31st January- this deadline also applies to people who need to pay the tax that they owe to HMRC.

Which tax return software is best?

There are several commercial tax return software packages which are available to purchase. People on forums who regularly file tax returns recommend Andica- this company has a different type of software for every type of tax return, such as a partnership or a trust.

Who files tax return for deceased?

You must tell HMRC as soon as possible if you’re managing the financial affairs of someone who has passed away. Once you have told them, HMRC will inform you if you need to file a self-assessment on their behalf. You’ll need access to the deceased’s bank accounts, payslips and pension. If you need assistance whilst completing a tax return on behalf of someone who has passed away, you can call HMRC using the number on this page.


Number Direct is a telephone directory and call routing service and is not connected to Tax Returns. The direct contact number for Tax Returns can be found in the public domain or on their official website.