Self-Employed Contact Helpline

0844 453 0165

Need to call the Self-Employed Contact Helpline? Let us connect you by using the number to the right of the screen, we can connect you to the right people.

When To Call The Self-Employment Helpline

If you are a freelancer or run your own business, you can get connected to the HMRC Self-Employed Helpline for:

  • Finding out what tax returns you are entitled to, or help with filling out your tax returns form
  • Advice on starting up a business or hiring a new employee
  • Claiming a tax or National Insurance refund
  • Registering a new business or reporting the closure/selling of a business.
  • Information and guides on how to set up a business or going freelance in your line of work

What Is The Self-Employed Helpline For?

The HMRC self employment helplineĀ provides support and advice for all self-employed individuals in the UK – those who either work freelance or own and run their own business. The helpline is part of HM Revenue & Customs and helps to ensure that self-employed people are paying the right amount of tax and National Insurance, as well as registering their annual salary via a self-assessment form. Those who are self-employed are encouraged to maintain all records and declare their full amount of income each year.

The HMRC has an advice team for those who are newly self-employed, which provides guidance with starting up a new business, taking on employees and managing tax affairs. They also offer training resources such as webinars, emails and an e-learning service.

The Self-Employed Helpline – Part of HMRC

HM Revenue & Customs is a non-ministerial department of the UK government. It is responsible for the collection of taxes, payment of necessary state support, and the enforcement of other regulations such as the National Minimum Wage.

HMRC provide support and advice on all regulations for different individuals across the social and financial spectrum, such as self-employed, students, parents, pensioners, disabled people, and the unemployed.

The Benefits of Self – Employment

Being Self-Employed makes you your own boss. You can freelance in something you love or run your own business whilst making your own hours. If you’re a a self-employed taxi driver, you can choose the hours you work and who you work with – large groups, airport runs etc. If you’re an artist, you can sell your work at your own set price on any platform (markets, online stores) you can also choose your working days. The benefits of becoming self employed can be very good if you find it hard to be in a job you don’t enjoy, or if you don’t enjoy working under somebody else. However, your rate of pay is never set, and tax returns can get very tricky. By calling the number to the right of the screen, we can connect you to the right people who can advise you on going self-employed, and what is required by law to provide to the HMRC at certain points during your self-employment.

Head Office

Since the Self-Employment customer service line is based within HMRC, your local offices are the best option if you would like to write to the HMRC regarding Self-Employment. You can find out your nearest HMRC office by consulting their website or your chosen web search such as Google.

About HMRC

HMRC is the UK’s leading tax authority and collects tax from the UK public. They also help those in financial need by supplying them with a benefit income to supplement their own. They also tackle tax evasion and avoidance and investigate individuals as well as corporations who they feel could be trying to cheat the system in order to receive benefits or not pay tax. They also make sure money is available to fund public services and administer statutory sick and maternity pay to those who need it. In regards to Self-Employment, HMRC will receive tax based on your income and how much you declare you earn each week you are registered as Self-Employed.

Types of Self-Employment

Self Employment is defined as an individual who works for him or herself instead of working for an employer for a set salary of wage. An individual who is self employed earns their income through conducting profitable actions and sales from a business that they operate themselves. There are many lines of work that can be caterogorised as Self-Employed, some of these include:

  • Sole Trader. This type of self-employment involves running your own business, perhaps hiring a few people who work for you, offering a business need or selling a product.
  • Partnership. This is similar to a Sole Trader role, except you pool together with other people to either start a company or business.
  • Limited Company. This is based on shares between multiple people and is registered at Companies House.
  • Franchise. A franchise is a multiple chain based business with it owned by one person. McDonalds and KFC are examples of Franchises.
  • Social Enterprises. Such as housing associations and credit unions, Social Enterprises are operated to benefit either the environment or society. An example of this is the Eden Project.
  • Freelance. When you register as self employed, you can be hired by companies, individuals or simply sell a product. This is the most common form of self employment in the UK. The most common forms of freelance self-employment include; actors, artists, musicians, photographer, production designer, accountancy, sports, media and internet related jobs.

How to register as Self-Employed

By ringing the number above, you can register as self employed, which will mean you are given Self Assessment tax returns and Class 2 National Insurance at the same time. You can then start reporting your self-employment income through your tax return at the end of each and every tax year. It takes 10 days to complete the registration process, but you should allow 21 days for this process to be completed.



Number Direct is a telephone directory and call routing service and is not connected to HM Revenue & Customs. The direct contact number for HM Revenue & Customs can be found in the public domain or on their official website.