The DVLA Connection Number

0844 453 0118

Opening Hours
The DVLA connection number can be contacted between 8am and 7pm between Monday to Friday, and between 8am and 2pm on Saturday. It is closed on Sundays. This is a call connection number.

Why Call The DVLA?

Calls received by the DVLA contact number usually involve:

  • Questions about driving licensesdvla contact number
  • Questions about car tax
  • Selling vehicles and updating records
  • Updating drivers’ road tax discs, or reporting an untaxed vehicle
  • to contact the DVLA about bereavements, acquired disabilities, changes in medical conditions and endorsements
  • Drivers contacting the DVLA number to purchase private registration plates
  • Vehicles rental companies wishing to check the license of someone hiring a vehicle.
  • Finding a lost license or reporting a missing license

Other important DVLA numbers

DVLA Phone Number
Head Office 0844 453 0118
Customer Services 0844 453 0118
Complaints 0844 453 0118

DVLA Head Office Opening Hours

Department Opening Hours
Head Office Monday to Saturday 9am to 5.30pm, Sunday 11am to 5pm

DVLA Head Office Address

Department Head Office Address
DVLAHead Office DVLA
SA99 1BU

DVLA Contact Numbers

In the past, getting in touch with the driving agency or even obtaining the correct DVLA contact was considered more difficult  than the actual driving exams themselves, this was due to poor communication and awful planning.

Nowadays the DVLA phone number is one of THE most commonly used telephone numbers in the United Kingdom. The agency currently takes millions of phone calls every year and with future call volumes set to increase, the agency is in an ever-present state of readiness to answer the phones and address a wide range of questions and queries from the Public.

You can use the number above to contact the DVLA by phone.

What Does The DVLA Do?

The DVLA’s main responsibility is to maintain the records of licensed drivers and vehicles in the UK, but the agency is also responsible for:

  • Issuing licenses to new drivers
  • New drivers applying for provisional licenses
  • Issuing blue badges for disabled drivers
  • Facilitating the Police and Intelligence services as best as possible
  • Updating records on damaged or stolen vehicles

Applying For Your First Provisional Driving Licence

You can get your first provisional driving licence from the DVLA online. You will need to be a resident of Great Britain, meet the minimum age requirement, meet the eyesight requirement, not be prevented from driving, pay £50 by debit or credit card, have a valid UK passport or another form of identity and be able to provide addresses where you have lived for the last three years. If you apply online, your new licence should arrive within one week. You can apply for your provisional licence when you are 15 and 9 months old and you can start driving when you are 17 for a car or 16 for a moped or light quad bike. If you apply online you are agreeing that DVLA can check your personal data.

If you have any issues, you can ring the DVLA contact telephone number.

Get In Touch With The DVLA Head Office

Local DVLA officers were closed in 2013 but you can still reach the head office in Swansea at DVLA Swansea, West Glamorgan, SA99 1DN.

Practical and Theory Tests

The Driving Theory Test

There are two parts to the driving theory test. There is a multiple choice section followed by hazard perception. If you only pass one part, you will fail the whole test. The pass mark is 44 out of 75 and you will be given your result at the end. You can take a free official driving theory test online if you wish to practice.


All drivers must take a theory test before their practical examination.

The Car Practical Driving Test

The practical driving test is designed to see if you can drive safely in different road conditions and traffic levels. You must also be able to show that you know the Highway Code through your driving. You need to have passed your theory test before you take your practical examination. You must bring your theory test certificate and your licence to the test. Before the test begins, you will be subject to an eyesight check, where you must read a number plate from a distance. You will then be asked some vehicle safety questions. The driving part of the test will assess various aspects such as your ability to stop and start and reversing the vehicle. You will also be asked to complete 10 minutes of independent driving, where the examiner will assess how you drive on your own.

DVLA Services

Booking Your Theory Test

You can use the DVLA website to book your theory test for cars,buses,coaches,motorcycles and lorries. Before you start you will need your Provisional Driving licence number and an email address in order to receive your booking confirmation. The process takes around 10 minutes and you will need a credit/debit card at the ready. If you fail your theory test, you will need to wait at least 30 working days before taking it again.

Renew Your Driving Licence

You must renew a photocard driving licence every ten years. You cannot renew online if your name has changed or if you want to renew a five year bus or lorry licence. If you are 70 or over, the renewal process has changed- meaning you must renew every three years after your initial renewal at 70. To renew your licence online, you need a valid UK passport, to be a resident of Great Britain, to be able to pay £20 by debit/credit card, addresses of where you have lived over the last three years, your current driving licence (including the paper counterpart) and your National Insurance number. Your driving licence should arrive within a week of application. If you choose to apply by post, this will take three weeks.

You will receive a pink drivers licence once you have passed your practical and theory examinations.

You will receive a pink drivers licence once you have passed your practical and theory examinations.

Check the MOT Status of a Vehicle

In order to check the MOT status of a vehicle with the DVLA, you will need to hand the MOT test number or the document reference number. You can also check the MOT certificate against what is online to ensure it is genuine.

Make a SORN

A SORN is a Statutory Off Road Notification which you must do if you don’t use or keep your vehicle on a public road. Some cases of this may be if you keep it in a garage, on a drive or on private land. There is a new service which helps to make this process easier. To make a SORN online, you just need the 16 digit reference number from your tax disc renewal letter and the 11 digit number from your logbook. You must make your SORN by post if you have recently registered as the vehicle’s keeper or you haven’t yet registered. You can apply by post up to 2 months in advance, but you must explain your reasons for making the notice so early.

Get A Vehicle Registration Certificate/Logbook

You can use form V62 or apply by phone to get a replacement V5C vehicle registration certificate (or logbook). You can get a replacement in most cases, for example if yours has been stolen, lost, damaged or destroyed or if you haven’t received it yet.

Renew a Tax Disc

If you have been sent your tax disc renewal reminder, you can apply online or at the Post Office. To apply online you will need the 16 digit reference number from your tax disc renewal letter and the 11 digit reference number from your log book. To apply at the Post Office, you will need your completed V11 reminder (or your V5C), your MOT test certificate which must be valid when the tax disc begins and the payment amount that is shown on the reminder. You can also renew over the phone.

You need to display a valid tax disc in your vehicle.

You need to display a valid tax disc in your vehicle.

Apply for a HGV Vehicle Tax Disc

You will need a HGV Vehicle Tax Disc for lorries that have a maximum weight of more than 3.5 tonnes when they are loaded. Tax rates for HGV’s can vary depending on your vehicle’s tax band, whether it has road friendly suspension and whether or not you have a Reduced Pollution Certificate. To renew your HGV tax disc, you must go to the Post Office.

Transferring a Vehicle Registration Number

In order to transfer a registration number from one vehicle to another you must use form V317. You can transfer a vehicle registration from your vehicle to another one in your name, to someone else’s vehicle or to one you are buying. If the number is being transferred to another persons vehicle, both registered keepers need to complete the application process. Alongside the form you will need to include the registration certificate, an MOT certificate and an £80 transfer fee.

Health Conditions and Driving

You may need to tell DVLA if you have a medical condition which could affect your driving. You must surrender your licence to DVLA if your doctor tells you to stop driving or if you do not currently meet the medical required standards. If you surrender your licence voluntarily, you could get it back sooner. For a full list of medical conditions that may mean you have to surrender your licence, go to the DVLA website. If your licence is taken away, you may be given a period of time before you can get a new licence. You can reapply eight weeks before the end of this period. You may need to send evidence of your fitness to drive.

Where Are The DVLA Offices Based?

The DVLA is a national corporation. They used to have local offices situated in across the country, including places such as Edinburgh, Glasgow, Newcastle, Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham, Cardiff London, Bristol, Exeter, Oxford and other locations across the UK. However, it is now centralised in Swansea.

The DVLA headquarters can be found in Swansea.

The DVLA headquarters can be found in Swansea.

What is the DVLA?

The DVLA is also known as the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency and is a department within the transport sector of the British Government. It was created in 1990 as a section of the Department of Transport and was founded to replace to the ageing DVLC ( Driver & Vehicle Licensing Centre). The agency currently stores over 44 million valid driver’s licenses alongside a further 36 million licensed motor vehicles.


What do I do if I’ve lost my driving license?
How do I change the address on my driving license?
How do I book my practical driving test?
How do I contact the DVLA about changing my license plate?
Can I drive a vehicle without it being taxed?

What do I do if I’ve lost my driving license?

If you need to replace a lost, stolen or damaged driving licence, you can ring the number above or head over to the DVLA website for more information on how to do so. If applying for a new card online, you will need your government gateway ID to do so.

How do I change the address on my driving license?

You can change your address on your license by filling out the “changes” part on the  D741 form you received when you were first issued your driving license. You must then send this along with your photocard license to the DVLA. If you don’t have this, file for a license application from the DVLA on the number above to be sent one.

How do I book my practical driving test?

You can book your practical driving test through your driving instructor, who will book and arrange it for you. If you would like to do so yourself, you can do over on the dedictaed government website. 

How do I contact the DVLA about changing my license plate?

You can buy a new licnese plate online with the DVLA. You will have to change all tax instructions to fit the new licesne. For more information on this service from the DVLA, ring the number above or head over to the government website.

Can I drive a vehicle without it being taxed?

It is illegal to drive a vehice that is not taxed with the DVLA. Tax your vehicle online or pronounce it as off the road by filling out a SORN.

Alternative Ways To Contact The DVLA

The contact number provided will connect you to the DVLA. Calls are charged at 10p per min.


Number Direct is a telephone directory and call routing service and is not connected to DVLA. The direct contact number for DVLA can be found in the public domain or on their official website.