Child Benefit Contact Phone Number UK Information

0844 248 2560

0843 557 3383

Child Benefit Contacts:

Child Benefit Phone Number
Head Office 0843 557 3383
Claimant Helpline 0843 557 3383
Complaints 0843 557 3383

Child Benefit Contact Number Opening Hours:

Day Time
Mon – Fri 8am – 8pm
Saturday 8am – 4pm

Child Benefit Head Office Address:

Department Address
Head Office HM Revenue and Customs – Child Benefit Office
PO Box 1
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE88 1AA
United Kingdom

Who Would Call The Child Benefit Number?child benefit number

People who call the Child Benefit Contact Phone Number UK  will usually have their own child(ren), an adopted child(ren) or perhaps have some queries into the polices of the Child Support Agency. The biggest reasons why people will call the Child Benefit number are:

  • To see if they are eligible for Child Benefits
  • If their child is living away from home
  • If they live/work abroad
  • Their child has died
  • They are looking after a child whose parents are no longer alive
  • If they earn over 50,000 GBP
  • They are fostering or adopting

If you think you are affected by any of these issues or have a query which is not listed then call the number provided to be sure of where you stand with the Child Support Agency.

What Is The Role Of The Child Support Agency?

The Child Support Agency’s main responsibility is to provide income support to families across the UK who have children under the age of 16 (and in certain situations children between 16 and 20).  The agency provides income for each child and often pays the benefits on a 4 week basis; however it can also pay on a weekly basis if needs be.

History of Child Benefits

Child Benefits first appeared in the UK in 1945 when the Family Allowance act was introduced in Parliament. It offered 5s (£0.25) for family per week for each child.

Since then, the laws have been updated and in 1977 the term ‘Child Benefit’ was first introduced into British society. Quite recently, the Conservative-Liberal coalition drafted new plans in 2010 to restrict child benefits to families who are earning over £50,000 a year.

Frequently Asked Questions about Child Benefit:

“Can I claim Child Benefit if i am a working parent?”

Yes, you will be entitled to child benefit if you have the responsibility of a child. By responsibility we mean using money towards their upbringing to buy things like clothes, shoes, food as well as paying towards birthday and Christmas presents and a small amount of pocket money. If you are struggling and feel you are entitled to child benefit, please call the child benefit helpline where it will be assessed whether or not you are eligible for receiving the child benefit. Child benefit has a set rate which currently stands at a £20.70 weekly rate for the eldest or only child and drops to £13.70 per child for additional children. If families join together, the eldest out of the family will qualify for the 20.70, whilst all other children will get the £13.00 rate. When families split apart, the rates will remain as they are unless the families have more than one child and one is in the care of the mother and the other of the father. If both mother and father claim, they will each get £20.70 for their children, but will have to prove that they are not living together.

“Are my child benefits taxable?”

This depends entirely on your circumstances. Child benefit itself is not usually taxable but if your household is in receipt of it and there is someone living there with an income of over £50, 000, then from January 2013, the benefit has been subject to tax. The ‘High Income Child Benefit Charge’ will apply whether or not the child that is living with you is your own. There is an online calculator which will allow you to calculate how much you will be entitled to once the tax charge has been taken off. If your circumstances have changed and you want to opt out of receiving child benefit because of the charge, there is also the option to do that. If you do opt out of receiving child benefits but your circumstances remain the same as when you were claiming, you will still be entitled to receive them and can restart the process at any time. If you choose to continue receiving the child benefit you will be required to pay any tax charge at the end of the tax year. The online calculator also helps you to calculate your total taxable income. It is convenient and easy to use, but if you have any further questions, do not hesitate to call the child benefit contact number.

“What Child Benefits am I entitled to if I have twins?”

The normal system allows a set payment of £20.70 for the eldest child and £13.70 for any additional children, but of course this differs slightly with twins, as sometimes only a matter of hours or even minutes determines which of the twins is the older child. If you have other children who were born before the twins, then they will each receive the £13.70 that the younger children are entitled to. However, if there are no older siblings, the £20.70 rate of benefit will still go to the child that was born first, no matter how short the gap between them. So to answer this question quickly, there are no extra benefits for twins and the same rules apply. Don’t forget that there is other help available to you if you are on a low income such as the sure start maternity grant, call the contact number where you can speak to a helpful adviser who will make you aware of the help that is available to you.

“Why has my Child Benefit stopped?”

Your child benefit may have been stopped for a number of reasons. One of them could be that your child is over 16 years of age and no longer in full time education, instead earning for themselves. If your child is working for more than 24 hours per week and is no longer in education or training, begins to receive benefits themselves, this could be income support or Jobseeker’s Allowance or if they start any kind of apprenticeship in England. All of these things mean that the child benefit for this child is stopped. If your child remains in approved education or training after they have tuned 16, you will still be entitled to child benefit. If you have notice that your child benefits have been stopped but can’t think of a reason why then please call the child benefit contract number where the issue can be solved quickly, to cause you as little inconvenience as possible. Other reasons for a stop in your child benefit could be that you have not alerted the child benefit office to a change in your bank account, your child is now living with someone else or you have received letters from the child benefit office that you have not responded to. Please make sure you are updating the benefit office to any changes in your circumstances to ensure you are being paid the right amount and at the right time.

“When will I begin Receiving my benefit?”

From applying for child benefit, it is then paid into your bank account every four weeks either on a Monday or Tuesday. If your circumstances differ from that of the norm, such as the fact you are a single mother, or you are receiving other benefits such as income support then you will probably receive your child benefit on a weekly rather than monthly basis. Your claim can take up to 12 weeks to process but if you are concerned about when you are going to receive your child benefit, if it has taken too long, or on what time basis you will receive it, get in touch. If a payment date runs over a bank holiday, this might vary and so to ensure you know exactly when to expect your payments, please call the contact number or look online where all bank holiday payment dates are given.

“I have been overpaid Child Benefit, what shall I do?”

If you have received an over payment of benefit then more often than not it will need to be paid back in full. If you are unaware that you have been receiving more than you are entitled to, then you will be sent a letter informing you of the over payment and giving you the reason why. If you receive your benefit and become aware that it is more than usual, you must notify the benefit office straight away. Please call the contact number to notify us of a change in your circumstances to avoid being over paid. If you receive a letter informing you of an over payment that you don’t agree with, you will have the opportunity to appeal this decision. Please be aware that if you are aware of an over payment but do not say anything then you are liable for prosecution. Re-payment is usually required in a lump sump, and on the letter you receive will be bank details of the account you must pay the money back into.



Number Direct is a telephone directory and call routing service and is not connected to Child Support Agency. The direct contact number for Child Support Agency can be found in the public domain or on their official website.